Thursday, January 3, 2013

One-Stall Restrooms

This is actually a post that I wrote back in August, 2011 but I apparently didn't post it.  So I am posting it now.


The last time I, a cis- (not transgendered) female, went into a multi-stall men’s restroom was on occasion as a small child when the only person to take care of me was my father.  On the other hand, to this day I often choose to frequent one-stall men’s restrooms.  What’s the point in standing in a long line outside the designated women’s restroom when the men’s restroom is no different and is designed for only one individual at a time?  Why not just use the men’s restroom?  Aside from the occasional strange look one may receive when exiting the one stall to find a male waiting to use the room, who honestly cares?

So far this may seem to be a gender-related issue.  However, this is also a disability-related issue.  In June of 2011, I visited a restaurant called Tasty Dog in Oak Park, Illinois with my family.  As the daughter of a wheelchair-bound mother with Multiple Sclerosis, I immediately recognized the wheelchair accessible entrance and found a table where my mother could join the friends that my parents were in town visiting.  Thinking wheelchair accessibility to no longer be a problem for the venue, I relaxed and went about the daily routine of eating a meal with my family.  We went up to the counter to order something to eat, sat down and had a great conversation with our friends.  We ended up sitting and chatting so long that my mother eventually had to use the restroom, again not surprising.  I walked to the one-stall bathroom to open the door for my mother and see if she needed my help.  She did not, so I left her to use the restroom in privacy.  Soon there was a female standing outside the door waiting for my mother to finish using the restroom, my father suggested that I let her know that it might be better for her to use the men’s so I went over and told the woman.  She was very kind, thanked me for the information and used the men’s room.  This happened several times until I met with a disgruntled woman who refused to use the men’s and insisted on waiting for the women’s room.  Despite my warning and explanation to the woman, she became upset with me and went to the restaurant employees to complain about my mother.  Soon the employee came out to investigate the matter herself, I again explained that my mother was handicapped and often needed a longer period of time to use the restroom.  Fortunately, the employee understood and explained to the customer that she would have to wait.  Of all the years my mother has been handicapped I have never experienced such animosity over a simple matter.  What would have happened had the employee not understood?  I do not even want to think about the embarrassment this may have caused my mother.  It is from these experiences and my own personal experiences in both men’s and women’s one stall restrooms that leads me to implore owners to reconsider labeling one stall restrooms with gender neutral signs.  If one is in need of a sign at all for these rooms, please consider the family signs or signs for both men and women that one can often get from the same locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment